Thursday, March 18, 2010

What does your dad do?

Dear Chicken Nugget,

In yesterday's letter I wondered aloud what you're going to be like in school.  But, I also wonder what I'm going to be like in the future; what am I going to do?

Since childhood I've had grand visions for what I should do - from being a doctor for the elderly to being an astronaut to being a lawyer, politician, teacher, health advocate, personal trainer, lobbyist, and pastor/deacon in the Church.

Still, at the age of 30, I'm not certain of what I'm going to be in the future.  I've felt called to help people and to teach people but I'm just not certain of the where or who or how.  I pray every day for help and direction and sometimes God has a great sense of humor about it.

Just the other day I was running in the rain and praying about what I'm being called to do and three random women stopped me and asked me for directions.  I take that as either God wanting me to lead the lost or become a NYC Tourism Guide.

So far I've done pretty well for myself.  I have a good, steady job that I enjoy and that allows me to teach and help others. 

Is this where I belong forever?  I don't know. 

I do know that right now I'm being called to be a good husband and father and I'm working hard to make sure I do both well.  You and your mom are a huge part of who I am and what I do and you always will be. 

Just bear with me if I happen to change careers during your lifetime.

I am, and always will be, your father.


Eternally yours,

Your papa

No comments:

Post a Comment