Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences

Dear Chicken Nugget,

Yesterday I had to attend the most dreaded of days a teacher experiences, Parent Teacher Conference day.  I don't shy away from interaction with parents, I actually think there should be more of it.  When you have 190 students, this day can be stressful, overwhelming, and can leave you feeling beat.  Your mom and I have 15 years of teaching experience between the two of us, so I hope that all we've learned in that time can help you.

As I sat and talked to all these families, I wondered what it will be like when it's my turn.  What will your teachers tell me about you?

Will they tell your mom and I that you sing too loud and off-key?  If so, you got that from me and I'm sorry.
Are you going to be the child that stuffs chicken nuggets in their pockets? Yes, we've seen some of those.

Are you going to be the child that can't sit still?

Are you going to be the one that does well at everything but needs to participate more because you're too quiet?

Or, are you the one that participates too much and needs to give others a turn?

Will you be the one that is scared to go to the bathroom and, therefore, has an accident every day?  If it happens, just know that we've all been there before.

I can't help but wonder who you are going to be.  And, I can't help but be excited by the opportunity to meet you.

I hope you get the best of your mom and the best of your dad.  Especially when it comes to singing. 

Regardless of what peculiar character traits or academic learning style you have, just know that we'll love you, support you, and teach you as best we can.  And, we'll go easy on your teachers at Parent Teacher Conferences . . . but only if they teach you well.

Looking forward to meeting you, nugget.

Eternally yours,

Your papa

No comments:

Post a Comment