Monday, March 29, 2010

One day, I started a chant

Dear Chicken Nugget,

Today we're on our way to Nebraska to visit your grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousin Timothy.  But, before we fly out, I wanted to share with you that on Saturday night, your dad started a chant at a stadium.

When you're old enough to understand the impact of one person in a stadium holding 25,000 starting a chant, you'll know how big a deal it is.

I was sitting with my friend Anthony in Section 221 of Red Bull Arena watching the NY Red Bulls Home Opener and nearby was a section of Chicago Fire fans.  They had brought drums, trumpets, and fireworks and were singing the whole game.  I was starting to get tired of them and in the 75th minute started with, "Let's Go Red Bulls!"  Anthony joined in and, after a near-goal rally by the Red Bulls, the crowd joined in and soon the chant expanded to the whole stadium.

It was a brief moment but a great one.

And, the NY Red Bulls went on to win their season home opener of 2010.  If you get the chance, look up video footage of the Red Bulls' Season Opener on March 27, 2010 and listen for the crowd's chanting at around minutes 75-76.  I did that.

Looking forward to the days you and I get to start chants together.

Eternally yours,

Your papa

No comments:

Post a Comment