Wednesday, January 26, 2011

sNOw Day?

Dear Chicken Nugget,

The news in New York City this winter has been packed with snow.  We've gotten a lot of it.  At least three storms have come through with significant accumulation.  There was one storm that came through the day after Christmas that actually made New York City stop for a bit - and that almost never happens. 

During that storm, your Great Uncle Richard was stuck on a bus for three hours.  The bus got stuck in deep snow, the snow drifts made it difficult for people to get off, and the winds were blowing at over 50mph.  I'm sure he'll tell you the whole story in hilarious detail some day.

Even tonight, as I write this letter, meteorologists are predicting 8"-12" of snow by 8am.  Usually this would get me excited for a snow day.  But, this year the City of New York seems to be on an anti-snow day kick.

It's unfortunate.  There is much fun to be had in a fresh pile of snow.  On the day after a snowstorm a couple of weeks ago, a father called our school to inform us that he was keeping his son home from school.  Not for safety reasons or anything of that sort - he simply wanted to take his kid to the park to play in the snow.  That kid's dad became my hero that day.  At least some folks out there still know how to enjoy a good snowfall.

I love the snow too and would appreciate being able to explore it with you tomorrow.  So, tonight I put a spoon under my pillow, turned my PJs inside out, did the snow dance, and flushed a handful of frozen peas down the toilet.  (OK, so technically the last one was supposed to be ice cubes but we're out and I figured the next best flushable frozen thing in our freezer was the peas.)

If we get a snow day, we party.  If we don't, I'll leave the partying to you and your mom.  I'll be at school, with about half the kids, all wishing they were playing in the snow.

Have a good night, Nugget.  Sleep tight.  Dream of snow!


Eternally yours,

Tu papa

No comments:

Post a Comment