Saturday, January 15, 2011

BHAGs

Dear Chicken Nugget,

I've got a problem.  I love to run.  But, during the cold, winter months I can't get myself to run on my own; at least not regularly and as often as I'd like.  Running in the freezing cold is hard, not to mention stupid.  

This year my winter running has improved by coaching my Young Runners Club.  It's also helped to be inspired by you.  I have been getting out, just not as often as I'd like. 

I can always do better.  So, in my attempt to get into better shape this year I've set a big goal to run the 13.1 NYC half-marathon.

Setting a big goal is a sure-fire way for me to train harder.  When I first started running I set a big goal to run a marathon.  I went from barely being able to run 2 blocks to completing 26.2 miles in nine months.  In my almost seven years as a runner, I've  had to repeatedly set race goals to inspire me to train harder.  Without a race as an end-goal, I'll take things a little too easy.

I've also become a sort of charity runner.  I like to use my running to raise money and awareness for certain causes.  Over the past few years I've raised money for St. Jude's Childrens Hospital, the Lance Armstrong Foundation, the American Heart Association and this year, World Vision.

By setting a big goal and running for a charity I ensure that I stick to a training program.

Today when I go out and run in freezing temperature I'll know that there are many reasons for me to keep going: you and your mom, my health, people in Africa, and simply getting to the finish line.
 
Speaking of finish line, I've gotta go.  Now.  So cold.


Eternally yours,

Tu papa

No comments:

Post a Comment