Thursday, April 22, 2010

Meeting Meb

Dear Chicken Nugget,

Yesterday I met Meb Keflezighi.  Meb is currently the best long-distance runner in America and I've been a fan for over six years now.

Meb was born in Eritrea and his family moved to the United States when he was 12.  He won the USA Cross Country Championships in 2001, 2002, and 2009.  In the 2004 Summer Olympics he finished second in the marathon and won the silver medal.  Last year, in 2009, he won the NYC Marathon in 2 hours 9 minutes and 15 seconds.

So, yeah, he's a pretty incredible guy.  He was in NYC to talk about the start of his MEB Foundation. MEB stands for Maintaining Excellent Balance and he plans on using his foundation to support various causes in health, fitness, and education in both the USA and Eritrea.  I'm looking forward to seeing what his foundation will accomplish.

Well, little nugget, I met one of my athletic heroes yesterday and it was a pretty cool experience.  He spent quality time with each individual fan and was very friendly and patient with everyone wanting pictures and autographs.  I had a good conversation with him and even asked him about what he has for breakfast before a big race.  Yes, your dad is obsessed with what the big athletes have for breakfast.  Meb's answer?  Homemade bread.  Keep it by your bedside in case you get hungry at night, he added.

So, nugget, if homemade bread is on daddy's nightstand, it's because I run to win.

I hope one day you get to run to win.

Eternally yours,

Your papa

No comments:

Post a Comment