Thursday, April 1, 2010

it's OK to turn back

Dear Chicken Nugget,

Yesterday I went out for a nine-mile run and didn't finish it.  I want you to know that it's OK to turn back.

Nebraska has had its first couple of days of warm weather since we arrived and the tree and weed pollen is picking up.  Something you'll learn is that your dad has allergies.  My bet is that you probably will too.  Sorry 'bout that.

But, this is not about allergies.  It's about knowing that it's OK to not finish something if it means pain or illness.

Running is part of my regular exercise and pushing through pain or illness can lead to injury.  So, If I'm not breathing well, running with an awkward gait, or feeling pain in any way, I've got to stop. 

Little nugget, if ever you feel pain or feel sick feel free to stop what you are doing.  Go home.  Rest up.  Try again later.

Unfortunately the pollen count here in Bellevue, Nebraska has gone from High yesterday to Very High today.  Not sure a run is going to happen today.  I'll probably try, but if it doesn't feel right, I may just turn back.  Nine miles is a long ways to go when you're not breathing well.

Plus, there's always tomorrow.


Eternally yours,

Your papa

No comments:

Post a Comment