Monday, November 8, 2010

the NYC Marathon and me

Dear Chicken Nugget,

Ever since I was little I've been a fan of the NYC Marathon.  My Aunt Bella and I would wake up on Marathon Sunday and start watching the coverage on TV and start making fake bets on who would win that year.

For a few years we lived on Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn, right along the route.  We'd watch the elite runners approach on TV and then hit the street to watch and cheer them on live.  Then, as the morning progressed and a speedy few became a thundering thousand, I'd go out there to high five as many runners as we could. 

I started dreaming of running the NYC Marathon in my early 20s, before I could even run a mile, but haven't had my chance yet.  Lack of luck with the entry lottery and injury has prevented me from joining the 40+ thousand people running the NYC Marathon every year.   

sleepy Nugget on his way to cheer
 Although I've run marathons in New Jersey and Maryland, the dream of running the NYC Marathon is still alive and thriving.  This year, at just 2 months old, we took you to Manhattan to cheer for the thousands of runners in the Marathon.  You slept through all the noise but I was inspired by it.

little Nugget sleeps in the baby carrier while dad cheers along with a teammate - yes, a chicken
Seeing all those people enjoying my city and pushing themselves to the limit makes me want to get out there and join them.  As they say in sports, especially when you're a Mets fan like me, "There's always next year"  . . . and the year after that.

If weather permits, I can't imagine a better motivator than seeing you and your mom cheering me on.  Then maybe, some day, we'll run a marathon together.  


Eternally yours,

Tu papa

1 comment:

  1. Marathons are a huge accomplishment. I ran some in my 30s, and then my knees gave out and I took up cycling. Run NYC while you can!! As for running with kids, my daughter is 18, and when I visited her at college, we ran together. It was a highlight of my trip. I love going on runs with my daughter. We did it all through her high school years.

    ReplyDelete