Sunday, November 28, 2010

Giving up Facebook for Advent. Sort of.

Dear Chicken Nugget,

As I write there are 500 million people in the world that are using something called Facebook.  It's a social network website that allows users to connect with one another around world.  It's also a great time-suck.

It's been absolutely wonderful to connect to old classmates that I lost touch with, be able to communicate with relatives in Ecuador, and let people know that something funny just happened.

But, checking in on others can take up time - especially if you end up checking in twice a day like I usually do.

So inspired by friends and family, I'm giving up Facebook for Advent.  Sort of.

First, your great uncle Barry, a pastor in Texarkana, TX, posted on a blog that we should try to read the books of the Bible in order.  I've already done that twice before and I've learned so much each time so I figured that's something I should do some day soon.

Then a friend from my running club, you may remember him as the guy in the chicken costume on Marathon Sunday, posted that he was going to give up Facebook for the rest of 2010; just as a challenge to himself.

Finally, as I was reading up on Advent I learned that people used to treat Advent much like they did Lent - they would fast to prepare for the birth of Jesus.  Although I'm not going to fast this Advent, I decided I could instead refrain from Facebook somehow.

So the end result is this:

I will read the books of the Bible in order and only check in on Facebook when I complete a full book of the Bible.  

Something you'll learn about me is that I set up challenges for myself just to see if I have the willpower to do them (like marathons, for example).  I find it's good practice to challenge yourself this way; it lets you know that you are stronger than you think you are.

Of course, I thought my Advent challenge was going to be easier.  Somehow I forgot that the first time I read the Bible straight through it took me two months.  Oh, and I also forgot to calculate the number of times I would be interrupted in my reading by you, Nugget.

had we picked a name out of Genesis you might have been named Gether or Nimrod
Not that I'm complaining.  Reading it in smaller bits has allowed me to meditate on smaller events.  But still, after Day 2 I'm on page 20 of 1,034 and just halfway done with Genesis.

So, I don't think I'm anywhere near on pace to complete the Bible by Christmas or New Year's Day for that matter.  No, this challenge might take me straight into Lent.  And by the time I get there, since it's Lent, I might as well set up a new challenge...


Eternally yours,

Tu papa

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like some interesting commentary on the Bible while reading, I would totally suggest "Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible" by David Plotz

    ReplyDelete